From May 10th to 23rd, a scientific ringing campaign will be carried out in Yetas Bird Observatory in the province of Nerpio in Albacete. We need expert ringers to work as volunteers and assistants.
Second year, female Sardinian Warbler.
To work as an assistant you do not need any previous experience of bird observatory work. Interest in birds and nature conservation work is good enough. The goals of the ringing campaign are as follows:
· To monitor the Passerines´ community in the main mountain habitats of “Sierra del Segura”.
· To determine the phenological status of several rare species of birds, or species with small distribution areas in the province of Albacete.
· To study of the bird migration habits by means of scientific ringing
· Study the moulting on birds in collaboration with the “Moulting Programme” of SEO-Birdlife.
· Training the local people of Nerpio and people interested in birds and ringing from the Sierra del Segura region.Yetas Bird Observatory has three different ringing sites.
1. Yetas ringing site: The main habitats are orchards, and vegetable gardens with inserted bush hedges and mountain streams.
2. La Dona ringing site: Riverside vegetation among mountain cliffs and rocky areas.
3. Embalse del Taibilla: Riverside vegetation and evergreens.
Usually around 90 meters of nets are set up in each place. The average number of birds ringed in each place per day is around 40. We need volunteers for the first spring ringing campaign in Yetas Bird Observatory. The volunteers have special offers in accommodation in very cheap mountain hotels and campsites. If you are interested in being a volunteer, please send an email to
and we will send you the price list, and the list of accommodation for volunteers.MORE INFO:Ringing campaign: http://alasparanerpio.blogspot.com/2010/04/campana-de-anillamiento-cientifico-de.html.Birds ringed in Nerpio in the last 10 years:http://sao.albacete.org/joom/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=613&Itemid=161